Poole St James, Dorset
St. James is an ecclesiastical parish in Poole parish. The population of St James is 4423. The livings is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, valued at £170 per annum. The church of St James is a stone building in the Tudor style erected in 1820 and restored in 1871; it has a richly decorated exterior.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Poole||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of St. James dates from the year 1558. The register of St. Paul's dates from the year 1833. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The parish church of St. James, erected in 1820, on the site of an ancient fabric, is an edifice of stone in the Late Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: the eatern lectern was presented in 1887 in memory of Charles Schreiber M.A. who died in 1884, when M.P. for Poole: in 1894 a new pulpit was erected as a memorial to the late Rev. John Lewis Williams M.A. vicar of Great Canford 1884-93: and in 1897 a stained window was unveiled by Earl Nelson in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria: a new communion table and two rails were provided in 1907 as a memorial to the Rev. J.A. Lawson, rector of Poole 1868-1905: the interior was thoroughly repaired in 1871 at a cost of £300, and in 1893 a further sum of £925 was expended in reseating refitting the church.
Poole St. James was in Poole Registration District from 1837 to 1905
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.