Shruel, Queens County
SHRUEL, a parish, in the barony of SLIEVEMARGUE, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2¼ miles (N.) from Carlow; containing 183 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Barrow, which here separates it from the counties of Carlow and Kildare; it comprises 784 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The castle was built in the reign of Elizabeth, soon after the reduction of Leix to English government, by Sir Robert Hartpoole, constable of Carlow castle, and governor of the Queen's county; his extensive possessions have since passed through female heirs into other families. The castle, once of some importance, is a massive pile, situated on the banks of the Barrow: it is now the residence of Hasting Herring Cooper, Esq. Hollymount, the seat of Wm. Fishbourne, Esq., is also in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Slatey: the tithes amount to £46. 3. 1. In the R. C. divisions it is held with part of Killabin.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shruel from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.