UK Genealogy Archives logo

Scotshouse, Monaghan

Historical Description

SCOTSHOUSE, a village, in the parish of CURRIN, barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Cootehill, on the road from Clones to Stradone: the population is returned with the parish. It is a station of the constabulary police, and contains the parochial church and R. C. chapel. Near the village is Hilton, the handsome seat of Col. Madden.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Scotshouse from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Monaghan is available to browse.