Ruskey or Rooskey, Longford
RUSKEY, or ROOSKEY, a market and post-town, partly in that portion of the parish of MOHILL which is in the barony and county of LONGFORD, in the province of LEINSTER, and partly in that portion of it which is in the barony of MOHILI, and county of LEITRIM, but chiefly in the parish of TARMONBARRY, barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7¾ miles (N. by W.) from Longford, and 66¼ (W. N. W.) from Dublin, on the road to Sligo: the population is returned with the respective parishes. This place is situated on the river Shannon, over which is a bridge of nine arches connecting the counties of Leitrim and Longford (which here unite) with the county of Roscommon. It participates in the general trade of the river, and has a market on Wednesday, which is well attended. The fairs, which are now discontinued, were formerly among the principal that were held on the Leitrim side of the river. A constabulary police force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held on alternate Thursdays. The parish church of Tarmonbarry is situated in the town, and there is a R. C. chapel for the union or district of Ruskey.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ruskey or Rooskey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Ruskey or Rooskey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.