UK Genealogy Archives logo

Royal Oak, Carlow

Historical Description

ROYAL OAK, a village, in the parish of KILLINANE, barony of IDRONE WEST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. W.) from Bagnalstown, on the road from Dublin to Carlow; containing 82 houses and 428 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Barrow, which is here crossed by a bridge, and derives its name from that of an old and well-known inn in its vicinity, which was established previously to the erection of the village.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Royal Oak from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.