Rostrevor or Rosetrevor, Down
ROSTREVOR, or ROSETREVOR, a sea-port and post-town, in the parish of KILBRONEY, barony of UPPER-IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Newry, and 57 (N.) from Dublin; containing 996 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Castle Roe or Rory, from its original founder, Rory, one of the family of the Magennises, Lords of Iveagh, of whose baronial castle, subsequently occupied by the Trevor family, there are still some remains near the town; it derived its present appellation from Rose, youngest daughter of Sir Marmaduke Whitchurch, after whose marriage with Trevor, Viscount Dungannon, the family seat, Iveagh castle, was invariably called Rosetrevor. The town is beautifully situated in a cove of Carlingford Lough, at the western termination of the Mourne mountains, and contains 185 houses, which are large and handsomely built. The streets are wide and open, and the whole town has a cheerful and attractive appearance. The air is salubrious, and the town is very desirable as a residence from its fine situation on a gentle eminence sheltered by mountains on. The north, south, and east, and open on the west to Carlingford bay, the shores of which are richly planted and embellished with numerous seats, handsome villas, and picturesque cottages. The port is principally frequented by fishing boats, for the accommodation of which there is a small quay, from which is a walk nearly a mile in length, thickly shaded with trees; and on the side of the mountain is a stone of very large dimensions, called Cloughmorne, which is frequently visited for the very extensive and beautiful prospect it commands. Between this place and Warrenspoint, in Carlingford Lough, is a large extent of soft ground, on which are two fathoms of water, where large vessels frequenting the port of Newry lie at their moorings. In the vicinity of the town are some salt-works. Fairs are held here on Shrove-Tuesday, Aug. 1st, Sept. 19th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 11th. The parish church, a handsome cruciform edifice with a lofty embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, is situated in the principal street; and near it is a neat R. C. chapel, with a campanile turret. Here are handsome school-houses, with residences for the masters and mistresses; the schools are supported by Mrs. Ross and Mrs Balfour. There are some remains of Castle Roe and Greencastle, and of the old churches of Kilbroney and Killowen; and near the town is a monumental obelisk, erected to the memory of Gen. Ross, who fell in a battle near Baltimore, in America, while leading on the British troops to the victory which they obtained on the 13th of Sept., 1814; on the four sides of the pedestal are recorded the principal engagements in which that gallant officer bore a conspicuous part.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rostrevor or Rosetrevor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Rostrevor or Rosetrevor)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.