ROSSMANOGUE, a parish, partly in the barony of SCARAWALSH, but chiefly in that of GOREY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Ferns; containing 1211 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Bann, and is skirted by the high road from Camolin to Carnew, comprises 4451½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, chiefly in tillage: on its border is a small red bog. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Tomb in the cathedral of Ferns: the tithes amount to £165. 4. 7¼; and there is a glebe of 14 acres. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Camolin; the chapel is at Craneford, adjoining which is a residence for the priest. About 100 children are educated in two private schools. The late Rt. Hon. George Ogle, of Bellevue, in this county, author of "Molly Asthore" and other admired ballads, received the earlier part of his education under the Rev. Mr. Millar, then rector of this parish.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rossmanogue from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.