Rossbercon or Rossibercon, Kilkenny
ROSSBERCON, or ROSSIBERCON, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, on the western sida of the river Barrow, adjoining the town of New Ross; containing 1260 inhabitants, of which number, 369 are in the village. A monastery, dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, was founded here by the families of Grace and Walsh, where friars-preachers were first introduced in 1267: at the Reformation it was granted to John Parker, Esq. The ruins are extensive and picturesque, comprising the lofty tower of the church, resting on four pointed arches, and the south wall of an aisle, containing five arches and ten windows. At an early period Rossbercon had a charter, by which it was constituted a distinct borough, with nearly the same privileges as those of New Ross, which town, however, completely outrivalled it, and it is now included within the electoral limits of that borough. The parish is situated on the eastern confines of the county, and comprises 2503 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The village consists of 62 houses, and is properly a suburb of New Ross, with which it is connected by a wooden bridge over the river Barrow. Here is an extensive tannery, and it is a chief constabulary police station. Fairs are held on Easter-Monday, May 3rd and 23rd, Whit-Monday, Aug. 10th, and Oct. 5th and 18th; and petty sessions once a fortnight. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, episcopally united, by act of council, in 1686, to the vicarages of Dysertmore, Shanbaugh, Ballygurrum, Kilmackevoge and Rathpatrick, together forming the union of Rossbercon, in the patronage of the corporation of Waterford, in which the rectory is impropriate: at the next avoidance, Rathpatrick, which is about a mile distant from the other parishes, is to be united to Kilculliheen. The tithes amount to £99. 6. 9., of which £66. 4. 6. is payable to the impropriators, and £33. 2. 3. to the vicar; the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £377. 13. 8¾. The glebes of the union comprise 21 acres: the glebe-house was erected in 1812, by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £88, from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is in good repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish, and those of Shanbaugh, Desertmore, and Listerling, in each of which is a chapel. The parochial school is aided by the incumbent. There are two private schools, in which, about 60 children are taught; and two Sunday schools, one held in the church, and the other in the R. C. chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rossbercon or Rossibercon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Rossbercon or Rossibercon)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.