Parkstone, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village stands at the NE extremity of Poole Harbour, 1½ mile W of the boundary with Hants, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 110 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of the civil parish, 2838; population, 4125; of the ecclesiastical, 3167. The church of St Peter, partly rebuilt in 1876 and 1892, is a handsome edifice of Purbeck stone in the Early English style. The two chapels of Holy Angels and St Osmund are in connection with St Peter's Church. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. The views that may be obtained from points round Parkstone are varied and beautiful, and there are many handsome residences. There is a coastguard station at Sandbanks. Lord Wimborne is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £33 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Canford Magna|
|Poor Law union||Poole||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of St. Peter's dates from the year 1833, that of St. Luke's, from 1900, and that of St. Osmund's, 1911. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, partly rebuilt in 1876, and again in 1892 and 1901, is an edifice of Purbeck stone with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with chapel and ambulatory, transepts and nave: the organ was presented in 1888 by the Rev. S. E. Pontifex, of Clifton, as a memorial to his mother: the church will seat 1,000.
St. Luke's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1900; the church is situated in Wellington and Sandecotes roads.
St. Osmund is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1911 out of the parish of St. Peter; the church, on the Bournemouth road, is a building of brick and terra cotta in the Basilican style: there are 850 sittings.
The church of the Transfiguration, Canford Cliffs, was erected in 1911, at a cost of about £1,400, to seat 250.
The chapel of the Holy Angels, LILLIPUT, is a small edifice of white brick, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and a western turret containing one bell: it has about 200 sittings.
The Roman Catholic School chapel of St. Joseph and St. Walburga, in the Bournemouth road, was opened July 11th, 1895.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1891, with 400 sittings, and there is another at Upper Parkstone; there are also Methodist and Undenominational chapels.
The Congregational chapel in Commercial road, built in 1893 at a cost of £3,950, affords 550 sittings.
Parkstone was in Poole Registration District from 1837 to 1905
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Parkstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Parkston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Parkstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Parkstone was formerly a civil parish, formed in 1833, but by the Poole (Extension) Order, 1905, which came into operation November 9th, 1905, it was added to the municipal borough and civil parish of Poole, of which it is a picturesque and rapidly-increasing suburb.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.