Richmond Harbour, Clondra or Cloondra, Longford
RICHMOND HARBOUR, also called CLONDRA, or CLOONDRA, a village, in that part of the parish of KILLASHEE which is in the barony of LONGFORD, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Longford; containing 41 houses and 214 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Camlin near its junction with the Shannon; the former is here crossed by a bridge of five arches, and is connected by a lock with the terminus of the Royal Canal from Dublin, thus affording a great facility of conveyance for agricultural produce, particularly corn, of which a considerable quantity is sold daily in the village. Here is the extensive distillery of Mr. Wm. Fleming, producing annually more than 70,000 gallons of whiskey, and employing upwards of 70 persons. A constabulary police force is stationed in the village, and there is a penny post to Longford. A branch of the Shannon from the vicinity of Castle Forbes falls into the Camlin near the village, and forms the isolated tract called the Island of Clondra.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Richmond Harbour, Clondra or Cloondra from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Richmond Harbour, Clondra or Cloondra)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.