REDCROSS, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Arklow, on the old road to Wicklow; containing 1528 inhabitants, of which number, 280 are in the village. This parish was formed in 1829, out of the unions of Kilbride, Dunganstown, and Castlemacadam, and constituted a parish of itself. The land is under an improving system of cultivation, and is chiefly arable and pasture, there being but little bog or waste mountain. Near Ballykane is a good slate quarry. The village consists of 48 houses: fairs are held for cattle on May 6th, Aug 5th, and Nov. 1st. Petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays; and here is a constabulary police station. Ballykane, the residence of Mrs. Foot, is agreeably situated in a secluded spot; East Acton is the residence of the Rev. J. W. Grier; Kilpatrick, of J. Byrne, Esq,; Ballyrogan, of E. Byrne, Esq.; Temple-Lyon, of W. L. Bestall, Esq.; and Revelscourt, of Mrs. Brass. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, endowed with a stipend of £75 per annum, payable by the incumbents of the three before-mentioned unions, who are also patrons in rotation, and an augmentation of £30 from Primate Boulter's fund. The church, is a small neat edifice, without tower or spire, and was erected in 1829 by subscription, aided by a gift from the late Board of First Fruits; it is situated in the village on a spot which, with the churchyard, was gratuitously presented by the Earl of Wicklow, who also gave £100 towards its erection. In the R. C. divisions the parish is part of the union or district of Newbridge and Baranisky. The parochial school is aided by a small annual donation from the incumbent; and a female school is aided by Mrs. Lundy Foot: in these schools are about 100 children. A dispensary was established in 1834, from which there is a branch at Dunganstown. In the demesne of Ballykane is an old rath; there is also another at Ballyrogan, called Kilpedder. On the townland of Chapple are the remains of an old church with a burial-ground; adjoining which was an extensive fortification, nearly levelled in 1834.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Redcross from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.