RATHSALLAGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Dunlavan, on the road to Baltinglass; containing 271 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the western boundary of the county, and comprises 1753 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: agriculture is improving; the principal crops are oats and potatoes. It belongs entirely to E. Pennefather, Esq., whose mansion is the only gentleman's seat, though there are several respectable farm-houses. One of the largest fairs in the kingdom is held here on Sept. 4th, for horses, cattle, sheep and pigs. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Dunlavan; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin. The tithes amount to £77. 16. 2., of which £49. 3. 10¼. is payable to the appropriators, and £28. 12. 3¾. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is also within the union or district of Dunlavan. In the demesne of Rathsallagh is a school, maintained entirely by the Pennefather family. There is an old rath on the townland of Rathsallagh.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rathsallagh from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.