RATHREA, a parish, in the barony of ARDAGH, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Edgeworthstown; containing 1054 inhabitants. It is situated on the confines of the county of Westmeath, from which it is separated by the river Inny, and it comprises 2364¾ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which a large portion consists of bog and unprofitable mountain, and the arable land is but of ordinary quality; limestone abounds. There is a large flour-mill, worked by M. West, Esq. On the site of the old castle of Rathrea is Foxhall, the residence of R. M. Fox, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ardagh: the rectory is impropriate in R. M. Fox, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilglass. The tithes amount to £109. 15. 4½., of which £38. 3. 6½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Lagan, and has a chapel at Ballycloghan. About 150 children are instructed in three private schools. In the demesne of Foxhall are the ruins of the old church, containing a monument to the memory of Sir N. Fox.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rathrea from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.