RATHKENNY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Slane, on the road from Moynalty to Drogheda, and close by the mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry; containing 1995 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5430 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is of good quality; about two-thirds are arable and the rest pasture, except about 150 acres of bog. From the hill of Mullaha a view of seven counties is obtained. Here is a police station. The seats are Mullaha, the residence of Brabazon Morris, Esq.; and Rathkenny House, of T. Hussey, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of T. Hussey, Esq.; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda. The tithes amount to £384. 18. 6. of which £193. 2. 2½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a small modern structure. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Slane: a large chapel has just been built, the front of which is faced with hewn stone; it is a neat Gothic edifice. Here is also a R. C. school, which it is in contemplation to place under the National Board. About 40 boys and 20 girls are taught in a private school. There are some remains of an ancient castle.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.