RATHJORDAN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Cahirconlish, on the road from Limerick to Hospital; containing 400 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1063¼ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; some of the land is remarkably good, but, being generally in small holdings, agriculture as a system is altogether unknown, and the land is cultivated in a very slovenly manner; the chief crops are oats and potatoes, but wheat is becoming more general than formerly. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union and corps of the precentorship of Emly: the tithes amount to £70. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Herbertstown and Hospital. Not far from the ruins of the old church is a holy well, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, much frequented by the peasantry, especially on the anniversary of the saint.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rathjordan from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.