RATHBEGGAN, a parish, in the barony of RATOATH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Dunshaughlin, on the mail road from Dublin to Enniskillen; containing 282 inhabitants. It comprises 2901¼ statute acres of arable and pasture land of good quality, of which the proportions are nearly equal, and it contains some quarries of building stone. Rathbeggan House is the seat of John Standish, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Drogheda, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £161. 18. 9., of which £18. 9. 2. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; the glebe, comprising 7½ acres, is valued at £15 per annum. The glebe-house was built in 1817, by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £100, from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a neat modern edifice, towards the erection of which the same Board gave £800, in 1817. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ratoath.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.