Rahill and Broughlstown, Carlow
RAHILL-AND-BROUGHLSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Baltinglass; containing 269 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the northern extremity of the county, on the confines of Wicklow, and is bounded on the east by the river Slaney: it comprises 2636 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about four-fifths of which consist of meadow and pasture, and the remainder of arable land, with a few acres of bog. It is a rectory and impropriate cure, in the diocese of Leighlin; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter, and the curacy forms part of the union of Rathvilly: the tithes amount to £184. 12. 3½. In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Rathvilly. On the townland of Rahill are the ruins of the old church, with a burial ground attached; the surrounding scenery is of a pleasing character, embracing the mountains of Cadeen and Lugnaquilla, in the adjoining county of Wicklow.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rahill and Broughlstown from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Rahill and Broughlstown)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.