PUBBLEDRUM, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHVILLY, but chiefly in that of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (E.) from Tullow, on the road to Cloncgal; containing 1271 inhabitants. It comprises 4503 statute acres, of which nearly one-half consists of woodland, and the remainder, with the exception of about 240 acres of bog, is arable land: the state of agriculture is improving. Limestone abounds and is burnt for manure, and fine granite adapted for building is also found. It has been for several centuries the seat of a branch of the ancient family of Butler, and contains Ballintemple, the residence of Sir Thomas Butler, Bart., and Broomville, of Jas. Butler, Esq. At Blacklion is a station of the constabulary police. In the Ecclesiastical divisions it is not known as a parish, but is considered to form part of the parish of Barragh, in the diocese of Leighlin; and in the R. C. divisions it is partly included in the union or district of Tullow, and partly in that of Gilbertstown: the chapel is at Ardattin. At Ballintemple are the ruins of an old church, beautifully situated on the margin of the river Slaney.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pubbledrum from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.