PORTNESCULLY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Waterford, on the river Suir; containing 1084 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Poleroan; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Waterford. The tithes amount to £200, of which £125 is payable to the lessee of the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Moncoin, and contains the chapel of Carrigeen. About 240 boys are educated in two private schools; there is also a Sunday school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Portnescully from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.