PIERCETOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 9 miles (W. by N.) from Mullingar, on the road to Ballymahon, and on the river Inny; containing 1089 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the county of Longford, and comprises 3778 statute acres, besides a great extent of bog: the land is principally under tillage; there is abundance of limestone. Ballinacurra House is the residence of B. Digby, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Almoritia: the tithes amount to £95; the glebe comprises 12 acres, valued at £24 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Forgney, and contains a chapel at Ballinacurra. A school, at Ballinacurra, in which about 50 children are educated, is aided by an annual grant of £30 from Mr. Digby; and there is a private school, in which are about 30 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Piercetown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.