Owning or Beaulieu, Kilkenny
OWNING, or BEAULIEU, also called BEWLEY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Suir, and near the confines of the county of Tipperary; containing 1281 inhabitants, and comprising 3652 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2867 per annum. The village comprises about 12 houses. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory, the rectory being one of the four denominations constituting the union of Fiddown: the tithes amount to £180. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Templeorum, and contains a chapel. About 140 children are educated in two national schools; there is also a Sunday school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Owning or Beaulieu from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Owning or Beaulieu)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.