Milborne St Andrew, Dorset
Milborne St Andrew, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Puddle, near the Via Iceniana, 5½ miles N by E of Moreton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8 SW of Blandford; was once a market-town, and has a reading-room and temperance hall built in 1863, and a fair on 30 Nov. It has a post and money order office under Blandford; telegraph office, Whit-church. The parish contains also the tithing of Milborne Churchstone, and comprises 1747 acres; population of the civil parish, 286; of the ecclesiastical, 558. The manor was;given by Athelstane to Milton Abbey, and passed to the Mortons, the Pleydells, and others. There is an oblong, double-entrenched, ancient camp of 7 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Dewlish, in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £145 with residence. The church isancient, has a Norman doorway, has been restored, and contains monuments of the Mortons, the Pleydells, and others. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Cardinal Morton, archbishop of Canterbury, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blandford||1835 -|
|Registration sub-district||Milton Abbas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1660. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The parish church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone and flint, consisting of north aisle, Norman south porch, and a low embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: there is a fine canopied marble tomb of the 16th century to John Morton, nephew of John, Cardinal Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury and Lord Chancellor in the 15th century; and several mural tablets of the Morton and Pleydell families: the church was restored under the direction of the late G.E. Street esq. R.A. at a cost of nearly £3,000, and affords 240 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Milborne St. Andrew was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milborne St Andrew from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Milborne St Andrew are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.