Owenduffe or Awinduffe, Wexford
OWENDUFFE, or AWINDUFFE, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Taghmon, an the road to Ballyhack; containing 2348 inhabitants. It is situated on a stream called the Awenduffe or Blackwater, which is tributary to the Bannow or Scar river, and separates the baronies of Shelburne and Shelmalier; and it comprises 7799 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. At Yoletown are two flour-mills, worked by the Blackwater, and there are also two bleachgreens on the banks of that river. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate cure, forming part of the union of Tintern: the rectory is impropriate in Caesar Colclough, Esq., to whom the tithes, amounting to £340, are payable. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions also it is in the union or district of Tintern. About 100 children are educated in three private schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Owenduffe or Awinduffe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Owenduffe or Awinduffe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.