Odogh or Three Castles, Kilkenny
ODOGH, or THREE CASTLES, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Freshford and Durrow; containing 1367 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Nore, comprises 4439 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The river, over which is a neat stone bridge, adds much interest to the surrounding scenery, which is also enlivened by the seat of L. S. Ball, Esq., called Three Castles, which is situated in a pleasing demesne; and the Grange, the neat residence of W. Stannard, Esq. At Mount Eagle is an extensive distillery, the property of R. O'Donnell, Esq.: a constabulary police force is stationed in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1797, to the vicarages of Donoughmore and Coolcraheen, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Sir James Tynte, Bart. The tithes amount to £300, of which £200 is payable to the impropriators, and £100 to the vicar. The glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £100, in 1800, is a neat residence; the glebe comprises 20 acres; the gross income of the benefice is £370. The church, a neat building, was erected about the year 1796, and for that purpose the late Board of First Fruits made a free grant of £500. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Conahy, but chiefly in that of Freshford: the chapel, situated on the townland of Tullow, and called Three Castles, belongs to the latter union. About 30 children are taught in the parochial school, which is chiefly supported by the incumbent, and also by the rector of the adjoining parish of Mayne; and there are five private schools, in which are about 240 children, and a Sunday school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Odogh or Three Castles from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Odogh or Three Castles)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.