NEWTOWN-CONYNGHAM, a village, in the parish of ALL SAINTS, barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 6½ miles (W.) from Londonderry, on the road to Letterkenny: the population is returned with the parish. It consists of a few scattered houses, situated near Lough Swilley, and has a penny post to Londonderry, a station of the constabulary police, a fair on the 29th of October, and a chapel belonging to the R. C. district of Lagan. According to Ware, a friary once existed at Bellaghan, of which there are no vestiges.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newtown-Conyngham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Newtown-Conyngham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.