NEWTOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Kells, on the road from Bailieborough, by Navan, to Dublin; containing 217 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by a small river, which runs into the Blackwater at Bloomsbury; and it comprises 1010¾ statute acres of tolerably good land, chiefly in tillage. Newtown, formerly belonging to the Meredyth family, is now the residence of Mrs. Groves. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1802, to the rectories of Kilbeg, Emlagh, and Robertstown, together constituting the union of Newtown, every third presentation to which is in the Bishop, and the other two in the Crown. The tithes amount to £66, and the gross value of the benefice, inclusively of the glebe, to £462. 10. The glebe-house was built in 1811, at an expense of £1384, of which £100 was a gift and £600 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £50 per annum. The church of the union, an ancient edifice, is in Kilbeg. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Stahalmock.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newtown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.