NEWMARKET, a village, in the parish of AUGHAVILLER, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Knocktopher, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 110 inhabitants. It comprises about 20 houses, and contains one of the two R. C. chapels belonging to the union of Ballyheale. Here are the remains of an ancient round tower and of a castle and abbey, the latter containing the cemetery of the Castlemorris family, whose seat, surrounded by a well-planted demesne of about 400 plantation acres, is in the vicinity. The ruins of the castle consist chiefly of the keep, which attests its former magnitude; and at Danganmore are the remains of another castle, which formerly gave the title of baron palatine to the family of Comerford, dependents of the Earl of Ormonde. On the summit of an elevation in the vicinity, called the King's mountain, are four great natural ridges, one of red argillite and the rest of breccia; from this elevation a most extensive view is obtained of the rich and cultivated plain towards Kells and Kilkenny, embracing also part of the county of Waterford.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newmarket from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.