NEWBLISS, a market and post-town, in the parish of KILLEEVAN, barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Clones, and 66 (N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Clones to Dublin; containing 497 inhabitants. It is situated on the estate, and contiguous to the fine demesne and plantations, of Andrew Ker, Esq., M.D.; and consists of one wide street, containing 95 houses, mostly of respectable appearance. It is a station of the constabulary police, and has a sub-post-office to Clones and Cootehill. The market, which is on Saturday, is principally for pigs and flax; and fairs are held on the last Saturday in each month, chiefly for cattle and pigs: the market-house and shambles are neat buildings, and there is a good inn. Here are a neat meeting-house for Presbyterians, erected in 1816; a school under the London Hibernian Society; and a dispensary.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newbliss from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Monaghan is available to browse.