MUCKNOE, a parish, in the barony of CREMORNE, county of MONAGHAN and province of ULSTER, on the road from Carrickmacross to Armagh; containing, with the post-town of Castle-Blayney (which is separately described), 9717 inhabitants. This parish comprises 17,194 statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, of which 14,155 are applotted under the tithe act, 377¾ are in Mucknoe lake, and 163 in smaller lakes; the land consists chiefly of arable and pasture, but there are large detached tracts of bog, and a considerable portion is mountain, of which Mullyash rises 1034 feet above the level of the sea. The principal crops are oats, flax, and potatoes: stone quarries are worked for building; and there are two corn-mills. Monthly fairs are held at Castle-Blayney. Castle-Blayney, the seat of Lord Blayney, is noticed under the head of that town. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £436. 3. 1. The glebe-house was erected in 1828, at an expense of £1027, of which £184 was a gift and £553 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £39 per annum. The church stands in Castle-Blayney: it was erected in 1810 by a loan of £1000 from the same Board, and gifts of £200 from the late Lord Blayney, £100 from Lord Templeton, and £50 from Lady Eliz. Alexander. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union of Clontibret, and partly a benefice in itself; it has two chapels, one at Oram, and the other in Castle-Blayney, which is a neat building. There are four places of worship for Presbyterians; one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class; two at Frankfort and Garmoney Grove, in connection with the Seceding Synod, the latter of the second class; and one belonging to the Scotch Covenanters. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. About 700 children are educated in 11 public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by the incumbent; and a female school is supported by Lady Blayney; and in 11 private schools are about 540 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mucknoe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Monaghan is available to browse.