MOYLOUGH, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Oldcastle, on the great road from Dublin to Sligo; containing 2401 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Inny, which rises here and falls into Lough Sheelin; and comprises 6937 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Agriculture has but little improved: there is scarcely any bog; limestone abounds, and several quarries are extensively worked. The principal seats are Beltrasna, the residence of Jas. O'Reilly, Esq.; and Upper Crossdrum, of W. Smith Harman, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Loughcrew. The tithes amount to £184. 12. 3¾. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Oldcastle: the chapel is a handsome building, in the later English style, and is embellished with a painting over the altar; it was erected at an expense of £1000. A Lancasterian school was founded by Jas. O'Reilly, Esq., at whose expence the building was erected: there is also a private school, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls. Some of the foundations of the old church, which anciently belonged to the abbey of Fore, are discernible; and there are remains of an ancient castle, of which no historical details are extant.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.