MOUNT-FIELD, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of STRABANE, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Omagh, to which it has a penny-post, and on the river Shrule; containing 2634 inhabitants. It comprises 10,366¾ statute acres, chiefly in tillage. The late Sir William McMahon, Bart., made some progress in the erection of a town here, where fairs are to be established; and a new road has been opened through this district direct from Omagh to Belfast. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Rector of Cappagh, of which parish it forms part. The curate receives a stipend of £75, of which £50 is paid by the rector, and £25 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The church is a small but neat edifice with a lofty spire, erected in 1826 on the side of a mountain, at an expense of £830. 15. 4½, defrayed by the late Board of First Fruits. In the parochial and another public school, both aided by Lady McMahon, about 150 children are educated; about 70 children are taught in a private school; and there are three Sunday schools.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mount-Field from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Tyrone is available to browse.