MOUNT-CHARLES, a town, in the parish of INVER, barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Donegal, on the road from Donegal to Killybegs; containing 508 inhabitants. It consists of only one street, in which are 83 houses, a small market-house (in which divine service is performed every Sunday), a school-house under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, and a dispensary; it is a constabulary police station, and has a penny-post to Ardara, Donegal, and Killybegs. Fairs are held on Jan. 18th, March 28th, May 10th, June 9th, Aug. 20th, Sept. 22nd, Oct. 22nd, and Nov. 18th. Near the town is the Hall, the property of the Marquess of Conyngham, but at present occupied by Col. Pratt. Mount-Charles gives the inferior titles of Earl and Viscount to the. Marquess of Conyngham.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mount-Charles from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.