MORNINGTON, formerly a parish, now merged into Colpe, and called Colpe-cum-Mornington, in the barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the southern bank of the river Boyne, and near the entrance' of the harbour of Drogheda, 2 miles (E.) from Drogheda; containing 265 inhabitants. This place is enumerated among the possessions of the abbey of Colpe, at the dissolution, as "the farm of Weisley." It is now merely a fishing village, consisting of 42 houses, a bridge over a stream which empties itself into the Boyne, and a small R. C. chapel, belonging to the union of St. Mary's, Drogheda. Here are the ruins of a church, with a turret at the west end pierced for two bells. On the coast are two very remarkable towers, called "the Lady's Finger" and "the Maiden Tower;" the former has rather the appearance of a monumental column with a square base, from which rises a round tapering shaft terminating in a cone above a band of masonry. The latter is much higher, and no less remarkable for its slender proportions; it is surrounded by battlements, and supposed to have been erected in the reign of Elizabeth, as a beacon, to the port of Drogheda. Mornington gives the titles of Earl and Baron to Marquess Wellesley.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.