MOORECHURCH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Balbriggan, on the mail-coach road from Dublin to Belfast; containing 1009 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4860 statute acres, of which 4562¼ are applotted under the tithe act; two-thirds of the land are arable, and one-third pasture, and about 56 acres are woods and plantations. Agriculture has greatly improved; the land in the eastern part of the parish is of very superior quality, and noted for the neatness of the hedgerows. Near Dardistown is a good flour and cornmill; and in the vicinity is a small tuck-mill. The principal seats are Dardistown Castle, the residence of H. Osborne, Esq.; Mosney House, of G. Pepper, Esq.; Claremount, of B. Clare, Esq.; Moorechurch, of G. Yates, Esq.; and Claristown, of Jas. Ennis, Esq. The coast is here a broad shallow strand, in view of which are the Cargee rocks, off the Dublin coast, dry at half-tide, and on which a beacon is fixed. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Julianstown; the rectory is impropriate in George Pepper, Esq. The tithes amount to £550, of which £450 is payable to the impropriator, and £100 to the vicar; the glebe comprises 9½ acres, valued at £28. 18. 6. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Stamullen; there is a neat chapel at Sarsfieldstown; where also are remains of an ancient stone cross. Ruins of the old church exist; and in the burial-ground is a tomb-stone to the memory of Jane Sarsfield, Dowager Baroness of Dunsaney, who died in 1597.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.