MONKNEWTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER SLANE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (E. by N.) from Slane, on the road to Drogheda; containing 700 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Boyne, and on the north-east it is separated by the Mattock from the parish of Tulloghallen, in the county of Louth, of which, in the ecclesiastical divisions, it is considered to form a part. The land is in general of excellent quality, and is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture; the pasture land in the vicinity of New Grange, the residence of R. Maguire, Esq., is of the very best description. On the river Mattock is an extensive flour-mill, partly propelled by steam; and the canal from Drogheda to Navan passes through the southern part of the parish. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Grangegeeth: the chapel, a neat structure, is near the ruins of the ancient church. About 30 children are educated in a private school. At New Grange is a remarkable vestige of antiquity, consisting of a mound surrounded by a circle of upright stones, and in which is a vaulted cave in the form of a cross: it is fully described in the article on Slane.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.