Mevagh or Moyvagh, Donegal
MEVAGH, or MOYVAGH, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 14 miles (N. by W.) from Letterkenny; containing 4794 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 21,026½ statute acres, of which 382½ are water, and 18,393 are applotted under the tithe act; the greater part of the land is poor, a small portion only being considered very good. There is a great quantity of bog and waste land; the latter consists of large tracts of sand thrown up by the sea. Lead has been discovered but is not at present worked. It is situated on Mulroy bay, and within its limits is the peninsula of Rossgul, bounded on the west by Sheephaven, on the north by the ocean, and on the east by the arm of the sea called Mulroy: in the centre this peninsula rises into great elevations, and near the shore presents a stunted verdure. The harbour of Mulroy, by the line of coast, is 5 miles to the west of Lough Swilly; it has water sufficient for the largest ships, and is well sheltered, but part of the channel is narrow and difficult. On the 14th of every month a fair is held in Glen; and petty sessions are held on alternate Saturdays. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £375; the glebe, about two miles from the church, comprises 184¼ statute acres, valued at £30 per ann., of which 25¼ acres are arable, and the remainder rocky pasture and mountain, with the exception of 2¼ consisting of streets and commons. The church is in good repair; it was built about 160 years since. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel is a good slated building. About 230 children are educated in four public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by an annual donation from Col. Robertson's fund; and in three private schools are about 130 children: there are also three Sunday schools. At the time of Pynnar's survey, a strong bawn of lime and stone, sixty feet square, with flankers, stood here; and there were 23 British families, capable of mustering forty-two fighting men.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mevagh or Moyvagh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Mevagh or Moyvagh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.