MAYNE, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Castle-Pollard, on the road to Granard; containing 2366 inhabitants. A religious establishment is said to have been founded here by St. Fechan of Fore, The parish is bounded on the south by Lough Derveragh, and on the west by a vast tract of bog, through which the river Inny takes its course: it comprises 5669¼ statute acres of tolerably good land, which is chiefly under an improving system of tillage. The surface is finely varied; and there are quarries of both black and grey limestone. From the village of Coole, roads extend across the bog and river, by a float or ferry. Fairs are held at Coole on May 20th and Nov. 20th. The principal seats are Pakenham Hall, the residence of the Earl of Longford; Coolure, of the Hon. Admiral Sir T. Pakenham; Turbotstown, of Gerald Cease, Esq.; Lakeview, of W. Smyth, Esq.; and Gaulstown, of Hubert De Bourgh, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath; the vicarage forms part of the union of Rathgraff; and there is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar. The tithes amount to £204. 18. 5½., of which £91. 1. 7. is paid to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar, out of which the latter pays £55. 7. 8. to the perpetual curate, who also receives £6. 6., the value of 3 acres of glebe, and £37 from the trustees of Primate Boulter's fund. The glebe-house was built in 1812, by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a neat building, in excellent repair, erected in 1806, by aid of a gift of £500 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, also called Turbotstown, comprising this parish and that of Faughley, or Faughanstown, in each of which is a chapel. The parochial schools are aided by annual grants from the Pakenham family, and Lord Longford has given a house and an acre of land; a school at Turbotstown is chiefly supported by the Dease family: in these schools about 126 children are taught. There are also two private schools, in which are about 86 children; and a Sunday school. A small well in a bog is resorted to by great numbers of the peasantry: and there are remains of an old castle at Williamstown. On the lands of Mayne stand the ruins of the ancient church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mayne from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.