MAGLASS, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Wexford, on the road to Bridgetown and Kilmore; containing 1012 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 3250 acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and chiefly under tillage; the state of agriculture has been much improved, and the practice of winter feeding partially adopted. At a short distance from the village is a large windmill for grinding corn. The seats are Silverspring, the residence of John Nunn, Esq.; Thornville, of John Lloyd, Esq.; Ballycogley, of N. Barrington, Esq.; Mount Pleasant, of the Misses Harvey; and Little Mount Pleasant, of Mr. Mullay. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns; the rectory forms part of the union of Gorey and the corps of the deanery of Ferns; and the vicarage, part of the union of Killinick. The tithes amount to £185. 7. 8¼, of which £55. 7. 8¼. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar; and there are two small glebes, comprising together about 7 acres. In the R. C. divisions it gives name to the union or district, which also includes the parish of Ballymore, and has a chapel in each parish. The chapel at Maglass, a large plain building, is supposed to stand on the site of an ancient monastery, the remains of which, as well as those of a castle that immediately adjoined it, were used in the erection of the chapel. Near it is a school of about 70 children held in a house given rent-free by C. A, Walker, Esq., and chiefly supported by the proceeds of an annual subscription dinner. At Ballycogley are the remains of a castle, consisting of a large square tower, three sides of which are covered by a single ivy-tree of extraordinary growth: it is said to have formerly belonged to the Wadding family, was forfeited in the civil war of Chas. I., and granted by Chas. II. to the ancestor of N. Barrington, Esq., the present proprietor. The remains of the old church have been partly enclosed as a cemetery for the Harvey family; but of the ancient monastery and castle of Maglass, between which tradition states that a subterraneous communication existed, there is not a vestige.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Maglass from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.