LOUGHCREW, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (S. S. E.) from Oldcastle, on the road to Kells; containing 1394 inhabitants. It comprises 4968½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there is no waste or unprofitable land, and the state of agriculture is improving, the drill system and a better description of stock having been lately introduced. There are some quarries of good building stone, and at the hamlet of Millbrook are the mills and residence of W. Henry, Esq. Loughcrew House, the residence of Jas. L. W. Naper, Esq., is a magnificent structure in the Grecian Ionic style, erected from designs by Mr. Cockerell, of London; it is faced entirely with hewn limestone, has a noble portico, and contains some good paintings by the old masters. The mansion, the out-offices (which are of a superior order), and the improvements in the demesne, are stated to have cost upwards of £80,000. The demesne comprises about 900 plantation acres, of which nearly 200 are planted; the principal approach is by a lodge of elegant design, and the scenery in the vicinity is of a pleasing character. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1682, to the rectory of Moylough and the vicarage of Diamor, and by Episcopal authority, in 1815, to the rectory of Russagh or Clonabreny, together constituting the union of Loughcrew, in the patronage of the Crown: the rectory is impropriate in E. Rotheram, of Crossdrum, Esq. The tithes amount to £166. 3. 1., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and vicar; and the entire tithes of the benefice to £369. 13. 10. The glebe-house was built in 1821, at an expense of £1879, of which £1275 was granted as a loan by the late Board of First Fruits, £100 as a gift, and the remainder was defrayed by the incumbent. The glebe comprises 40 plantation acres, valued at £50 British per annum, part of which is subject to a rent of £32. 15. The church is an ancient structure, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £181. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Oldcastle, and has a chapel at Loughcrew. About 160 children are educated in three private schools, and a Sunday school is supported by Mrs. Naper: some of the children attend the endowed school in the adjoining parish of Oldcastle.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Loughcrew from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.