LISNADILL, a parish, partly in the baronies of ARMAGH and UPPER FEWS, but chiefly in that of LOWER FEWS, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Armagh, on the road to Newtown-Hamilton; containing 7699 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 18.,556½ statute acres, of which 4468½ are in the barony of Armagh, 5824 in Upper Fews, and 8264 in Lower Fews. The land is remarkably good, and the system of agriculture in a very improved state. Limestone of excellent quality is quarried in several parts of the parish, chiefly for agricultural purposes. The principal seats are Beech Hill, the residence of T. Simpson, Esq.; Ballyards, of J. Simpson, Esq.; and Ballier, of J. B. Boyd, Esq. The weaving of linen for the manufacturers and bleachers of the surrounding district affords employment to many of the inhabitants; and there are two very extensive bleach-greens, in which, on an average, 56,000 pieces are annually finished for the English markets. The living is a rectory and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh; the rectory forms part of the union of Armagh, and the perpetual curacy was instituted under the provisions of an act of the 7th of Geo. III. The tithes amount to £650; and the stipend of the curate is £100, paid by the rector of Armagh, who is the patron; the curate has also the glebe-house, a handsome residence built by Primate Robinson, and 64 acres of glebe, purchased by the primate for the endowment of the living. The church is a spacious edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower erected by Primate Robinson in 1772, and has the arms of the founder over the entrance. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district called also Ballymacnab and Kilcluney, comprising the parishes of Lisnadill and Kilcluney, part of Mullaghbrack, and the district of Armaghbreague; there are chapels at Ballymacnab and Granemore, and a spacious and handsome chapel is now being erected in the parish. About 650 children are taught in six public schools, of which the parochial school is endowed with 7 acres of land by Primate Robinson, who also built the school-house; two are partly supported by the rector and curate, and one by Thos. Wilson, Esq.; there are also two private schools, in which are about 120 children, and five Sunday schools. The ancient church was destroyed in the war of 1641, but its extensive cemetery is still used. At Corran, in 1833, was found a cylindrical case of gold, containing many antique gems and ornaments, among which was a necklace of jet richly carved; it is now in the museum of J. Corry, Esq., of Armagh.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lisnadill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Armagh is available to browse.