East Lockinge, Berkshire
Lockinge, East, a parish in Berks, near the Ridge Way, 2 miles ESE of Wantage, and 3 SSE of Wantage Road station on the G.W.R. It contains the tithings of Betterton and West Ginge, and has a post office under Wantage; money order and telegraph office, Ardington. Acreage, 2083; population of the civil parish, 261; of the ecclesiastical, 325. Lord Wantage is lord of the manor and sole landowner. His seat, Lockinge House, is a very fine mansion, and stands amid beautiful grounds. A charming dell is in the chalk marl, and is watered at the head by a copious spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £450. Patron, Lord Wantage. The church is a building of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has been enlarged by the addition of a S aisle, and has a fine Norman doorway on the N side. There are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Lockinge All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1546.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave of seven bays, north aisle, north and south porches, with a fine Norman doorway and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the church was restored and enlarged in 1886, at a cost of £3,000, by the late Lord Wantage, when an organ was provided: there are 280 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
East Lockinge was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1934
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Lockinge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lockinge, East (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
Lockinge House is a handsome mansion of red brick with stone dressings, in mixed, styles, standing in beautiful grounds which have been very skilfully laid out; the house contains a fine collection of pictures by old and modern masters, and other works of art.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Lockinge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.