LISCARTIN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Navan, on the river Blackwater, and on the mail road from Dublin to Enniskillen; containing 229 inhabitants. It comprises 1188 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of good quality and chiefly in tillage. Liscartin castle, supposed to have been originally a monastic building, was the birth place of the first Lord Cadogan, to which family it still belongs; part of it now constitutes the residence of T. Gerrard, Esq., the proprietor of a large flour-mill in the vicinity; the outworks of the castle were considerable, and a gateway still remains, about 60 yards distant from the main building. Bachelor's Lodge, the neat residence of John Wade, Esq., is also in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardbraccan; the tithes amount to £69. 4. 7½. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ardbraccan, also called Bohermeen.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Liscartin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.