LISBELLAW, a village, in a detached portion of the parish of CLEENISH, barony of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Clogher; containing 45 houses and 242 inhabitants. Tradition states that on a hill above the village a battle was fought between some of the troops of King William and James II., when the latter were defeated. The Lisbellaw estate was the property of the late Earl of Rosse, on whose demise the title became extinct, and the property passed to the Rev. Grey Porter, the present proprietor. The village is picturesquely situated amidst conical-shaped hills, in a highly cultivated district, and in the vicinity of Lough Erne: it has a penny post to Enniskillen. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in weaving linen and making mats from bulrushes; and there are corn-mills with drying-kilns attached. Fairs are held on May 11th, June 20th, July 20th, Aug. 18th, Oct. 12th, Nov. 11th, and Dec. 23rd, chiefly for cattle and pigs: those in May and November are much frequented for hiring servants. Petty sessions are held on alternate Saturdays; and a baronial court was formerly held, but has been discontinued: here is a station of the constabulary police. The church, or chapel of ease to the parochial church of Cleenish, is a neat edifice, built in 1764 by Lord Rosse, who was interred in a vault beneath. The R. C. chapel is a large plain building, attached to the district of Enniskillen. Here are also a meeting-house for Presbyterians of the Seceding Synod (of the second class), built on a site given by the late Sir R. Hardinge; and a small meeting-house for Methodists. A school, formerly in connection with the Kildare-place Society, but now supported by the parents of the children, is held in a commodious house, which also contains apartments for the master. In the vicinity of the village are several ancient raths or forts; and on a finely wooded island in Lough Erne, connected by a causeway with the main land, is Bellisle, the ruined seat of the late Earl of Rosse.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lisbellaw from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Fermanagh is available to browse.