Langfield East or Upper, Tyrone
LANGFIELD (EAST or UPPER), a parish, in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Omagh; containing, with the market-town of Drumquin (which is separately described), 2919 inhabitants. The old parish of Langfield was, in 1800, divided by act of council into the two parishes of East and West Langfield; the former portion comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 9716¼ statute acres, of which 22¼ are water. The land in some parts is good, but the soil is generally light, particularly near the mountains, which, though lofty, afford good pasturage for cattle; the system of agriculture is slowly improving, and there is an extensive tract of bog. Excellent free-stone is found at Claremore, and in several parts of the parish are indications of coal. The principal seats are Drumrane Lodge, the residence of J. Boyle, Esq.; Burle's Folly, of E. Sproule, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. Pilkington. The manufacture of linen is carried on in the farm-houses to a considerable extent. The townland of Magheraney, on which is the church, is the property of the Bishop of Derry. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £245. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100, in 1804, is a good residence; the glebe comprises 26 Cunningham acres. The church, which was erected soon after the separation of the parish, is a small neat edifice with a square tower; the late Board of First Fruits gave £500, in 1800, towards its erection, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £254 towards its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish, with that of West Langfield, forms the union or district of Langfield; there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. About 180 children are taught in three public schools, of which the parochial school, situated on the glebe, is supported by the rector; there are also four private schools, in which are about 150 children. About a quarter of a mile from the parish church are the remains of an ancient church with a burial-ground.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langfield East or Upper from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Langfield East or Upper)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Tyrone is available to browse.