Kyle or Clonfertmulloe, Queens County
KYLE, or CLONFERTMULLOE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (N. W.) from Burros-in-Ossory, on the road to Roscrea; containing 1810 inhabitants. It comprises 6225 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2802 per annum. Agriculture is improving; there is little bog, but a considerable quantity of mountain land. Charleville, the property of the White family, and now in the occupation of Mrs. White, is situated in a handsome demesne. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Roscrea; the tithes amount to £111. 16. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Roscrea, and contains a chapel. There is a public school of 20 children, to which Sir C. Coote, Bart., and the Rev. W. Higgins contribute: and a private school of about 40 children. Here are the remains of an encampment, of the old church, and of Ballaghmore and Cloneurse castles.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kyle or Clonfertmulloe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Kyle or Clonfertmulloe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.