UK Genealogy Archives logo

Knockaderry, Limerick

Historical Description

KNOCKADERRY, a village, in the parish of CLONELTY, Glenquin Division of the barony of UPPER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Newcastle, on the road to Ballingarry; containing 58 small and indifferently built houses and 351 inhabitants. Fairs are held on Ascension-day, Sept. 9th, Oct. 29th, and Dec. 19th, for cattle, sheep, and pigs. Not far from the village is Knockaderry House, the ancient seat of the D'Arcy family, and now the property and residence of J. D'Arcy Evans, Esq.; it is pleasantly situated beneath the shelter of a hill, and surrounded by thriving plantations. There is a R. C. chapel in the village, and also a national school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Knockaderry from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.