Knock or Knough, Meath
KNOCK, or KNOUGH, a parish, in the barony of MORGALLION, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Nobber, on the road to Slane; containing 499 inhabitants. The place is said to have been the site of a priory founded in 1148 and dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, by Donchad Hua Kervail, prince of the territory, and Edan Coollaidhe, Bishop of Clogher, for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine; but there are no vestiges of the establishment, nor have any particulars of its history been recorded. The parish comprises 972 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there is a considerable tract of bog, which extends into the adjoining parishes, but it is nearly exhausted. Gravelmount; the property of the Rev. R. Longfield, and now in the occupation of J. O'Connor, Esq., is a spacious and handsome house; the demesne comprises about 160 statute acres, and the grounds are tastefully laid out. A manufacture of tiles, garden pots, and all kinds of coarse pottery is carried on at this place. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Castletown-Kilpatrick; the tithes amount to £68. 5. 5. In the R. C. divisions the parish also forms part of the union or district of Castletown-Kilpatrick. There are some very slight remains of an ancient church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.