UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Knavenstown, Kildare

Historical Description

KNAVENSTOWN,a parish, in the barony of WEST-OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Kildare, on the road from Monastereven to Rathangan; containing 124 inhabitants. This small parish, which is situated on the Grand Canal, comprises 886 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter, and the vicarage forms the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Kildare, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £12. 12., payable to the treasurer as vicarial tithes; the rectorial tithes have never been brought under any valuation, but have from time immemorial been let with the lands, and probably are merely nominal. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe; the members of the Established Church attend divine service at the churches of Thomastown and Kildare, In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kildare.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Knavenstown from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kildare is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement