KILTEGAN, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and partly in the barony of BALLINACOR, but chiefly in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Hacketstown, on the road to Baltinglass; containing 3815 inhabitants, of which number, 136 are in the village. This parish comprises 15,681 statute acres, under an improving system of agriculture, and there is a large tract of bog and mountain land. Limestone gravel is burnt for manure, and granite is abundant. High Park is the residence of E. H. Westby, Esq.; the original mansion was burnt by the insurgents in 1798; the demesne, which comprises about 400 statute acres, contains some very fine old timber. Hume Wood is the residence of W. W. Fitzwilliam, Esq. The village contains 22 houses and a dispensary, and is a station of the peace preservation police, of which there is one also at Fortgranite. A patent exists for eight fairs in the year, but none are held. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, episcopally united, in 1804, to the rectory and vicarage of Kilranelagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop by agreement with the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in Sir R. Steele, Bart. The tithes amount to £516, of which £340 is payable to the impropriator, and £176 to the vicar; the tithes of the union amount to £369. 16. 11. Adjoining the church is the glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816, gave £400 and lent £370: the glebe comprises 20 acres, for which £2 per acre is paid. The church is a handsome edifice with an embattled tower and spire, erected by a gift of £500 and a loan of £320 from the same Board; it was enlarged in 1826, at an expense of £1200, half of which was defrayed by the Board, and has been recently repaired by a grant of £191 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Hacketstown, and has a chapel at Kilmoat. In the village is a school supported by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; the schoolhouse was built at an expense of £300; there are about 52 children of both sexes in the school. There is also a national school for males and females; the schoolhouse is in the old chapel-yard. At High Park and Kilmoat are raths; on opening one at the former place, about three years since, an urn of coarse pottery was discovered, which contained ashes and bones. There are ancient burial-places on the townlands of Kiltegan and Drim.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kiltegan from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.