Hinton Martell, Dorset
Hinton Martell or Hinton Magna, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 miles N by E of Wimborne town and station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Wimborne; money order and telegraph office, Witchampton. Acreage, 1554; population, 359. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Shaftesbury. The church was rebuilt in 1870, and is a handsome stone building in the semi-Norman style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinton-Martell St. John|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne||1835 - 1836|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne and Cranborne||1836 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1661. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. John the Evangelist (parish church)
The parish church of St. John the Evangelist, rebuilt on the site of the old edifice in 1870, is an edifice of stone erected in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the stained east window was presented by Sir Richard Glyn bart.; there is also one erected by the Freemasons to Henry Charles Burt, and one by Mr. Henry Burt in memory of his father: the church affords 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Hinton Martell was in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937, Blandford Registration District from 1937 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinton Martell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hinton-Martell (St. John))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Hinton Martell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.